A Fifth Grade Science Project can be one of the most fun school projects that a parent and child can do together. Here are some really good science project ideas that our family has done. The projects are easy to do, yet they meet the requirements of most science fairs and most fifth grade teachers. Check out the ideas, and find out how to get step by step instructions at the end of this article.
Investigative science projects, which involve a science experiment:
• Does the shape of ice affect melting time? Use the same amount of water, place into different shaped containers and freeze. Then see how much time each piece of ice takes to melt.
• Which toilet tissue is most biodegradable? Take samples of different types of toilet tissue, and soak them until they fall apart. Run the samples through a strainer, and see which sample leaves the most paper undissolved.
• Which citrus fruit has the most Vitamin C? Make an indicator solution with iodine and starch (it’s EASY to do!), and test samples of citrus fruit or juice to see which one has the most vitamin C.
• Which brand cereal stays crunchy longest? Weigh different brands of the same cereal, soak in water, and then weigh again to see which one absorbed more water.
Demonstration science projects – when your teacher wants you to demonstrate a scientific principle to the class.
• Demonstrate that yeast gives of gas. Place a yeast and sugar solution into a bottle, put a balloon on top, and watch the yeast give off gas so that the balloon blows up!
• Demonstrate how static electricity works. Make a ball of aluminum foil dance between your finger and a pie plate. Watch this one on YouTube.
• Demonstrate how chemical reactions can be sped up. Put alka seltzer into a cup, and watch it fiz. Then do it again with crushed alka seltzer, another time with warm water, and yet another time with TWO alka seltzers.
We’ve done all of these science projects with our four boys, and they are fast, affordable, and easy to design on your own. We also provide illustrated, step by step instructions on these projects at our website! Whatever you do, remember, fifth grade science projects really can be fun and a learning experience at the same time. So grab your slide rule and your test tubes, and get started on your project now!
These projects are all part of 24 Hour Science Project Guides, science projects that are fun, easy, affordable, and teacher pleasing!